Code an Android App, Win Big!
TransLoc is leading the transit technology revolution—from dynamic vehicle routing to rider data intelligence. We are always looking for more riders and revolutionaries!
Check it out at transloc.com
This contest is open for US Developers only!
- Use TransLoc API and build an Android app that allow riders to see arrival predictions for the stop nearest them.
Click here to view the API documentation.
- Query the nearest agencies, routes and stops to the device.
- Show a representation of what the nearest stops and associated routes are to the user.
- Allow the user to select a stop from this information
- Show the user an arrival prediction for the selected stop
- Update the arrival prediction as it changes.
- Route segments are encoded in the Google polyline format. See additional documentation here.
- Displaying the route information may not need a map. Think about a London tube map.Many times infographics are able to convey information in a meaningful way without
displaying a realistic map.
- Displaying the route on a Google Map.
- Displaying the buses in real-time.
- Using user interaction with the map to show new routes.
- Caching the information obtained from the server in a meaningful way.
- Be clever. Be original.
We are looking for great execution, quality of build, and functionality and how useful it would be as a daily app.
Sample App & Code available here!
Check out TransLoc's Official App too!
30 Days left for the contest to end
- The app should be hosted as a runnable project on Programmr.
- If you are unable to run your app on our platform, you can submit your entry by
sending us a link to the live project (hosted on a server of your choice) and the
source code, hosted on a public repository like Git. Please remember that we
absolutely must have the source code to evaluate the project.
- If you are not hosting your project on programmr.com, then we would like to
request you to include a little note explaining the problems you faced on our
platform and the reason for hosting elsewhere. This is purely to understand what
we need to improve and to make programmr.com better for all of you.
- Please remember that the code must be open source. However you are free to
commercialize your project after the contest ends.
- Programmr and its sponsors will not commercialise your app's source code.
Well, what are you waiting for? This contest is such a great invitation for you to get started on open source
if you haven't already!
Looking forward to seeing your entry soon. On Your Marks, Get Set, Code!
A word from TransLoc, our sponsor:
Our mission is to take mass transit from last resort for some to first choice for all. In our first ten years we created America's first live regional transit map, the first bus tracking mobile app, and were awarded a transit innovation award by the White House. Mass transit should be the first and most convenient choice for people to travel within their community. We are creating the technology that will enable transit to become that choice.